Friday, August 29, 2008

Oh La La! Beacoup d'information!






Update! It is about 9:25 over here in Paris and about 3:25 your time back in les Etats-Unis. So, today was a VERY long day. I only slept for about an hour on the plane ride over. However, I did make a friend, Becca! She is totally awesome, and has been looking out for me a lot. I didn’t get to share, but there are about 40 of us here at the hostile together. But only 5 of us are on the Gap Year program, the rest are college study abroad students. It is a little bit challenging because they all have a lot more knowledge of the French language then I do. The other thing that I didn’t realize was that the advisors and monitors (student advisors) will only speak French. Again, a bit challenging, well actually EXTREMLY challenging because I don’t often know what they are saying and I am afraid that I am missing important information.
However all is well despite the little bumps in the road! We landed today and got picked up at the airport, and had about a half hour drive into the city to the Hotel Fauconnier. It is the most beautiful youth hostiles that I have every seen. Madame, you might now this beautiful building. It is set in the very old area of the city and is just down the road from Notre Dame. It is amazing! In the afternoon we kind of just hung out and relaxed, I gave my parents a call to let them know that I had made it here ok. And after waiting for a pay phone, a man came out and began speaking to us in French, he told us that his ex-wife had decided to come back to him. He was SO excited. We congratulated him, and he told us that the world needed young people like us. After that little excitement a few of us went to diner and I got to taste my first French wine! It was very yummy, but I don’t think I will be making a habit of it. We took a little walk after diner just around the Latin Quarter, which is one of the oldest parts of the city.
Today we Gap Year students learned a little more about how everything is going to work. We will take the one intense class at the University for a month and then the focus will shift to teaching at a local school. (So yes, Eddie we will be connecting both of our classes!)
Everything is beautiful, everything reminds me of you, Madame. Every time I walk past one of the spots that you would talk about in class I think of you. Everything is perfect, and I just have to remember to take one step at a time. Lets hope that I can dream in French soon!

No comments: