Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Patricia!



So last week or so, it was my host mothers birthday! So what do the French do when it is someone’s birthday, well they sing happy birthday of course, but they also have a small get together with some friends. And this is what commenced one evening in late September.

As the guest arrived, more and more French was being spoken, and it just seemed to spew out. There ended up being 4 of my mother’s friends, and then my brother and his girl friend; Eight in total, counting me and my mother. Once we all got settled, someone decided that grab and camera, and a 20 minutes photoshoot commenced.

Once that was all done, the meal was served. The spewing of French continued, and I continued to sit in bewilderment. Now, you must keep in mind, that when I am home I don’t have to worry about speaking French quickly or understand quickly because it’s just my mother and I. She will speak slowly when I don’t understand, and sometimes she will translate a word or two. BUT, when you get 7 fluent French speakers in a room, I just couldn’t handle it! By the end I was just drifting off, because my head hurt from trying to pick up on words that I knew, and trying to put the pieces together to figure out what was being said.

By the end of the night, I was exhausted. It was just amazing to see what the REAL French are like. How they interact with each other, and what they think of Americans. Overall a very successful night.

Pictures: The first one is of my brother, his girlfriend, me, and my mother (she is the one sitting down)
The second one is all of my mother's friends and me!

No comments: